Choosing the right GPS timing solution
The synchronization of networks, machines, and financial applications is becoming an ever important factor in the day-to-day operation of many companies. With this ever growing need for synchronization, comes a search for knowledge of a lesser known product called GPS clock, Atomic Clock, GNSS Clock, Time Code Generator, Network Time Server or known by a range of other names. In this article, we will refer to these devices as a GPS Clock.
When looking for a GPS clock, you will need to consider the following key points because not all GPS clocks are made equal, nor does purchasing a ‘GPS Clock’ mean that it will meet all of your time sync requirements:
- Timing accuracy requirements: How much do I need?
- Timing signals: Which ones and how many do I need?
- What is holdover and why do I need it?
- Now that I have holdover, what else can I do to make my system redundant?
- Critical cyber security considerations